I love nutrition, and I love skincare, put them together, and we’ve got ourselves a combo!
We all know how much the food we eat affects our health, our skin, nevertheless, is not excluded. You are what you eat!
70% of the quality of our skin depends on what we put into our mouths, while the environment, lifestyle, and genetics take home the remaining 30%.
In today’s post, I will be discussing how we can brighten up our skin from within by consuming the most palatable food on the planet, fruits!
Two words of advice though before we head on
- For the sake of not spiking up your insulin levels, thereby aggravating the possibility of an insulin sensitivity, I advise you not to make these blends a daily ritual.
- There is a clear difference between skin brightening and skin lightening, so while this blends will not take you three shades lighter and above, it will add a sort of glow to your complexion.
For the past few months, I’ve been exploring various types of juice and smoothie recipies for the taste of it, and the benefit of it.
The skin brightening recipes i will be sharing works because of the choice of fruit used and its nutritional contents.
The most notable fruits used is
Going skin deep!
juices, smoothies, shakes and blends have become increasingly popular in recent years, they fit neatly into our hectic modern lives, enabling you to incorporate healthy habits into your daily routine. the main advantage of juices and smoothies is that they are easy to make, quick, convenient and packed with rejuvenating, healing, and revitalizing nutrients.
Different blends, perform uniquely in the body, this is based primarily on the nutrients contained in each fruit used.
For bright eyes
Carrots and clementine.
Thin-skinned citrus fruits like Clementine can be put through the juicer without peeling, adding a kind of zesty kick to the final mix, while saving time when you are in a hurry. When mixed with carrots, you have a vitamin A and C power-packed treat.
What you will need
- 200g/7oz carrots
- 6 clementine, plus extra wedges or slices to decorate
- Ice cubes
- Scrub the carrots and, using a sharp knife, chop them into large chunks of similar sizes. Quarter the Clementine. Discarding any seeds.
- Push the clementine quarter through a juicer, then repeat the procedure with the carrots.
- Pour the juice over the ice cubes in a tall glass with a slice of clementine if you like and you’re done!
Ruby red lemonade
Black or blueberries.
You could either use blackberries or blueberries or both! This is a quick, easy fruit cordial, a far healthier alternative to ready-made drinks. When made, it can be kept in the refrigerator for several days.
What you will need
- 350g/12oz/3 cups of blueberries or BlackBerries
- Three quatre cup of superfine sugar (op)
- Sparkling mineral water to serve
This will make about 350ml/ 12fl oz/ one and a half cups before diluting.
- Examine the blueberries or blackberries carefully, removing any tough stalks or heavy fruit, then wash thoroughly and allow to dry.
- Push hand full of fruit through the juicer
- Put sugar in a small heavy saucepan with half a cup of water, heat gently until the sugar dissolves, stirring with a wooden spoon, then bring to boil, reserve until cool
- Mix the juice with the syrup in a jug (pitcher). For each serving pour about 50ml/2fl oz or half a cup fruit syrup into a tumbler and add ice. Serve topped with sparkling mineral water.
Breakfast on the go
Bananas and orange
Growing up, bananas and oranges had been my favorite foods, if I was really sick and couldn’t eat anything, whenever my dad hands me these fruits, I’ll always find the appetite to eat.
What you will need
- 1 banana
- 1 large orange
- 30ml/2tbsp wheat bran
- 15ml/1tbsp sesame seeds
- 10-15ml/2-3tsp honey (op)
Makes two glasses
- Peel the bananas and break it into short lengths, then place it in a blender or food processor
- Squeeze the juice from the Orange and add to the blender or food processor, along with the bran, sesame seeds, and honey. Whizz until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass 🥃 and serve.
Actually, this recipe is supposed to contain mango, but I hate mango juice. If you love mangoes and you want to add it in, half a large mango would do.